Didn’t we all get into the golf business to have fun and play some golf?
I played competitive golf many years ago, and when I had the opportunity to get into the golf business I jumped on the chance to do something I loved. Little did I know at the time, playing golf would become a thing of the past. When you work in the golf industry, playing is no longer at the top of the list!
As an independent contractor if I am not on the lesson tee, I am not making money. So taking the time to play golf, costs me money. Now that I am older, I’m also smarter; at least I’d like to think so! If I invite people to go play with me in an LPGA Pro-Am, they want to play, but they also come to me to work on their games beforehand so as to not embarrass them.
So far my teams have played at PGA National in Florida, La Cantera in San Antonio, TX, and just recently, Pebble Beach and Links at Spanish Bay; a true bucket list for all golfers! Up next is Las Vegas in October!
I never thought playing in these tournaments would be so much fun. But really, where else can you go play, for the prices we get to play, at some of the best golf courses in the country?
Here are some great rules that I follow when I pick my Pro-Am team:
- Pick FUN people! If you pick fun people, it really does not matter how you finish. They will remember the fun time much longer than they will the score.
- Pick people who like to travel. Most of the time these tournaments are just one day. Your team may want to do site seeing before and after the event.
- Pick people you like. You are going to spend lots of time with them because they will want to spend time with you.
- Get them familiar with the format of the tournament. The best way to do that is to play with them on your home golf course.
- Have some fun off the course as well. In San Antonio I treated my team to a night at Top Golf. At Pebble Beach, we experienced Robo Golf Pro at the Pebble Beach Golf Academy. It was an amazing experience!
I hope this motivates you to play more, and I hope to see you this fall in Vegas. We will have a great time!